Trauma-informed Schools training, working with Hong Kong students
Sutton / Harrow / Barnet
如何讓本地老師更明白移英香港孩子？英國心泉與 Thrive LDN has commissioned the WAVE Trust to deliver trauma-informed schools training in collaboration with Hong Kong Well UK which will cover the essentials of what trauma is and how it affects teaching staff, as well as practical tips on how they can put this knowledge to effect in educational settings.
WAVE Trust’s Trauma-informed Schools training covers the essentials of what trauma is and how it affects us, as well as practical tips on how you can put this knowledge to effect in educational settings.
In this tailor-made course, which has been commissioned by Thrive LDN and produced in collaboration with Hong Kong Well UK, we will be discussing experiences of trauma, resilience and the use of trauma-informed approaches in the context of those working with students from Hong Kong, especially those who have arrived in the country within recent years.
This in-person session is open to school staff across Barnet on a first come, first serve basis.
It will take place at Friern Barnet School, Hemington Ave, London N11 3LS. Please attend by 8:45am so you have time to settle in. The school will be providing lunch for all trainees.
Our full-day session will cover:
- Introductions to Adverse Childhood Experiences, trauma and resilience
- Experiences that can cause trauma, which are more or less common within Hong Konger community
- Particular adversities experienced by Hong Konger expats in the UK
- Immediate and long-term impact of trauma
- What protective factors are and how they help us to build resilience
- Mental health within the Hong Kong community
- Principles and framework underpinning Trauma-informed Practice
- Trauma-informed language, behaviour and reactions in service delivery
- Aspects of Hong Kong culture to take into account when adapting Trauma-informed Practice approaches
- How to approach behaviour and discipline from a Trauma-informed angle
- Creating nurturing spaces within schools
- Helping to build students’ resilience and improve well-being
- Vicarious trauma and organisational care for staff
- Successful examples of Trauma-informed Practice in Schools
“Our school staff have benefited hugely from the high-quality training WAVE Trust have provided… The training we received from WAVE Trust definitely gave our staff more tools to use when responding to the behaviours we see on a daily basis, often challenging behaviours caused by trauma.
“We are looking forward to implementing a trauma-informed way of working more consistently and hope that this focus will not only better support our young people, but also improve staff well-being. Thank you to WAVE Trust for their continued guidance.”
(Andrew Cook, Acting Deputy Headteacher, Archbishop Tenison’s Church of England High School)